Thursday, May 20, 2010

No extra glucose here....

So Monday I had my 24 week doctor's appointment (at 24 weeks and 5 days) for the Glucose test....something I have been dreading for quite some time. Basically they were testing me for gestational diabetes, which is apparently pretty common in pregnant women.
Why was I dreading it so much, you might ask?
Well, I have this little issue with sugar....as in, if it is in candy (and I don't think there is anything else actually in candy) then I LOVE it. Not always chocolate candy (although once in a while I need a good Hershey's with almonds bar or a mini Snickers or chocolate covered almonds/strawberries or a seasonal Cadbury egg) but the list of other candies that I could eat non-stop is endless. Sweet tarts, Runts, red licorice, Peeps (so happy they have them now for more than just Easter!), all different types of lollipops like Blow Pops, Tootsie Pops, even Dum Dums, gummy bears (or snakes, shape isn't too important), Gobstoppers....I think you are getting the idea. Basically if I got locked in a candy store I wouldn't even try to get out.
It's not like I sit around and eat candy 24/7. But you can be sure that if I get a craving for something sweet I have a little sugary treat in my purse at all times. And even though there is candy ALL around my house (in little bowls, in the cupboard, in my room, etc) I don't constantly eat it...and sometimes I have to throw away candy that has been sitting around for too long.
The problem for me might be that, along with my occasional dip into the candy bowl, I eat too many other things that contain too much sugar. I like Froot Loops for breakfast. Early on in the pregnancy it was one of the few things that the baby didn't "complain" about when I ate it....so I kinda stuck with it. I also like those frozen strawberry popsicles and ice cream from time to time for dessert....more sugar. Chocolate milk makes it into my day at least a few times a week....more sugar. Anyway, the point is I was super worried that the second they took my blood for the glucose screening at the doctor's office they would see sugar crystals floating in it or something and stamp a big red FAIL on my chart.
BUT......the results are in and I PASSED!!!! The nurse even made a point to say my iron looked good too. Hooray for that, cause I know I am not eating enough green (or any other color) vegetables along with my sugar filled diet.
I feel like I can relax a bit now that the test is over and had positive results....although I surely don't want my child to be born having sugar withdrawals and screaming for a little candy fix with her formula. I have decided that I will try to limit myself on the sugary stuff, at least until she gets here. We'll see how that goes!!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment