Monday, November 5, 2012

Big Day in Our House!

I know, I'm totally behind again. :-( One day I'll be caught up....maybe.
Anyway, today's brief post is about an exciting happening in our house today...Sophia has taken her first nap in her big girl bed! And as I type this, it has been 3 hours and 34 minutes...she is just starting to wake up and didn't fall out or get out once and she barely moved the whole nap time. Even now, as she wakes up, she's just laying there twirling her hair. :-)
A small bit of back story that I think led up to this. This weekend I went to a craft fair in Birmingham with my sister, her mom-in-law and sis-in-law, and my mom and aunt (plus another friend of my sisters sis-in-law...it was a big crowd!!). I found the cutest little hand painted double-step stool for a great price and thought it would be perfect for Soph so she would be able to actually get up into her big girl bed by herself (it's a queen sized bed and even though we have the frame at the lowest setting, it's still too tall for her to just climb in without our help). Well, she loves it. On two different occasions Michael and I have found her in her bed and once she was just relaxing, reading a book. :-)
Today, I was sorting laundry (five loads, yuck) and I went to check on her....she had been watching Nemo in the playroom and wasn't there anymore. When I called out to her, she said 'Mommy I'm in my big girl bed taking a nap!' It was a little bit early for a nap but she seemed pretty tired so I decided to see if she'd be fine actually taking a nap in her bed instead of her crib (I know she's been 2 for a couple months and should be moving out of the crib anyway...but with our big move to our new house I wanted to make sure we waited a few months before any big changes like sleeping or potty training...obviously she was ready before I was, haha).
I explained that the covers could NOT cover her face, only her body. She did ask if they could go on her head (oops, guess I worded that wrong, ha) but understood when I said no, they couldn't go on her head either. And I told her she had to stay IN the bed until after waking up from her nap.
I did have to do some rearranging of her monitor...looks like we will need a shelf or something to permanently put it on but for today it was fine. And she went right to sleep!! I did forget to put any pillows on the floor just in case, but she didn't ever get close to the edge so it worked out ok.
Nap time is a different story from bedtime...since at night it's a longer period of time and we're sleeping too...but I think if she wants to try it out tonight I'd be up for that (no school tomorrow due to election day).
I'm so proud of my big girl!! I guess that means next up is potty training....UGH!!!
*** Update!  Last night bedtime went great!  Soph went right to sleep and stayed in her bed all night long.  She did happen to turn upside down...but above the covers and nowhere near the edge.  At one point, she sort of woke up, realized she was upside down and and crawled back up on the pillow and pulled the covers up but didn't cover her face...and went right back to sleep!  She slept a bit better than Mommy, who kept waking up to look at the monitor to check on her, haha.  She's taking her nap in her big girl bed right now...seems like the crib is already forgotten!!***

1 comment:

  1. Cute! I wouldn't worry about potty training. It will probably take a day tops. She's been ready for that for a long time. Just do it one day over Thanksgiving break or on a weekend. Can't wait to read the post about that!!

    ReplyDelete