Friday, March 26, 2010

Hi, my name is Nicki...and I am addicted to Twitter (sort of)

I didn't really know what I should post about today and I got to thinking that this is only my third day of blogging and already I am running out of material....pretty depressing since I was so excited to join the blogosphere (is that really what you call it??!!).
So then I started to think that well, at least I am out here on the computer and am somewhat technologically advanced and can navigate my way around....and I am on Facebook and Myspace (ok, not that I have really been ON myspace in months) and have several email addresses and can shop online with the best of them. Oh yeah, and I am on Twitter.
Hence, the topic of the day.
When I say I am on Twitter, it is a fairly recent thing. Just as I resisted Facebook (and now just keep it up all day long....and check it 300 times, on the computer and then on my Iphone after work), I stayed away from Twitter because I didn't understand its purpose or what in the world it actually was. I set up an account about 6 months ago to do the investigative work to see if I could shed some light on what literally everyone was going crazy over. And I guess when I say everyone, I mean everyone in Hollywood; actors, actresses, reality show "stars", etc. But it seemed a little boring to me and I gave up my quest, figuring Facebook would have to just be my "cool" thing.
While I still might not be totally sure about the point of Twitter, I think I might have a small addiction. Now, I don't actually ever "Tweet" anything (not really sure how) and I think I only have maybe 2 or 3 followers (all friends that I could just call or send a message to on Facebook). But I probably follow 50 or something different people! 3 or 4 of those friends are actual people I know that Twitter graciously found for me through my email account. And the rest are various Hollywood types....everyone from Oprah to Ryan Seacrest to a handful of reality TV personalities (ok a pretty large handful of these...they seem to have the most time to Tweet) to rock stars (Joe Perry, whoo hoo!) to soap opera characters (well, just one...and in my defense they cancelled my favorite soap, how else can I keep up with the continuing saga??!!). It is fascinating the things that these people will Tweet and I literally update Twitterific (I know, I know, I am a total dork) on my Iphone several times a day to see what is going on with my "pals". The cool thing is, unlike Facebook, if you don't want to follow someone, you can still go to their Twitter profile and read all the Tweets they have posted. Some people post pictures and their own blogs and links to other interesting things. Sure, some of it I don't care about (nope, Ryan Seacrest does not need to tell me every time he walks to the stage for American Idol) but I feel like it is one step ahead of the gossip magazines....it is like the celebrities are giving me the gossip first hand, sometimes even before I see it on E! News (haha, laugh if you want, I know I am lame). It is kind of like stalking celebrities, but legally and they approve of this brand of stalking, even encourage it by wanting as many followers as they can get. Fine by me! If I can't be a celebrity at least let me live vicariously through them! Ha!
I don't know who invented Twitter (although I could probably Google it and find out pretty easily...I guess I don't really care) but as much as I resisted it, I must say it is a nice addition to my E! News and TMZ apps and thoroughly entertaining. If you are a doubter, just make an account, pick your favorite celebrity (any celebrity, no matter how big or small...chances are, they have a Twitter account. One note to Sara: skip Britney, she doesn't say much and I am not sure if it is even her or some minion of hers making the posts) and follow/stalk away. I am pretty sure you will be addicted before too long!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm "friends" with my pal Brit on Facebook. All the status updates are the same as on Twitter, apparently. Sometimes it's her, sometimes it's her minions. Still can't hop on board with Twitter. Sorry :-)

    ReplyDelete