Monday, May 2, 2011

Something I Can't Keep Up With

Other than this blog, that is.

What I am speaking of is laundry. Oh, how I hate it and how it piles right back up the second I complete the loathsome task.

I didn't used to hate it so much. Before Sophia was born, I didn't seem to do as much laundry. Sure, I had 3-4 loads to do at a time...but this was like every two weeks or so. Now I swear I do 3-4 loads before the week is half over. I'm not blaming Sophia totally. It seems like my clothes have to be washed much more often as well....but that kind of is because she spits up or drools all over or smears her runny nose into them (teething sucks, but that is an entirely different blog). Hmm. So that does kind of seem like her fault. But she doesn't seem to do it on purpose or realize what she is doing. Like all the sudden when my husband can't seem to wear a shirt without spilling on it. Surely that is controllable, right? And I guess his clothes get some of the Sophia stuff on them too. Basically it just feels like before her we could wear clothing more than just once (not underwear, gross) and now we can wear something for just a few hours and it is not worthy of a second wearing.

Here is a good example of how I just can't get ahead of this task. Last week I tackled two of our loads and two of Sophia's loads and thought, hey, it's only Wednesday and I have the laundry done for the week. And then I put Sophia in her exersaucer for half an hour and when I lifted her out of it....poop all up her back. And trying to change her diaper and clothes resulted in some poop on the changing table cover. And after that, we were playing on the floor and she leaned over my leg...and totally spit up all over my jeans. In her defense, she totally missed her own clothing. This all happened within an hour and boom, I have more laundry to do. Not to mention a few bibs and burp cloths to add to the pile. And these kinds of things happen every single day. I'm not a neat freak by any means, but I don't think it is asking too much to have clean clothes (or to not be spit up on for an entire 24 hours)! I used to love when pretty much every item of clothing that Michael and I had was all clean at once, neatly put away. I literally cannot remember the last time that has happened.

It's not like I ever expected that having a baby would mean less or equal laundry to before having a baby. But I guess I just can't believe that a once harmless and secondary task has turned into such a monster. Early in my pregnancy I bought a cute little bag to hold the dirty baby clothes....that thing is pretty much worthless, it overflows within a day or two. And now, where I was once indifferent to the chore of laundry, I have now come to really despise it. There is no getting ahead of it, no break from it, no chance of ever seeing all of our clothes clean at the same time again. Those days are sure long gone. I can't imagine what it would be like adding another child to the mix! If we ever hire a cleaning lady, well, she can skip all those chores such as dusting, sweeping, etc and stick solely to our laundry. She'd probably quit within a week. Surely anyone with kids has this same issue and can feel my pain. There should be help groups formed for mothers with laundry anxiety.

I guess I will wrap up this particular rant...there is nothing I can do about it since the laundry will not wash itself (good invention for the entrepreneurs out there)...and it is piling up as I type this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment