Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Good News...I Think

After the drama of the actual sleep study, getting the results were fairly anticlimactic. We were driving up north for our long vacation (a post to follow all about that) and had stopped for lunch at a Cracker Barrel and my phone rang just as we were going in. I saw that it was the pediatricians office calling so I let Michael know I would take the call outside while he went in to put our name in for a table.
I was pretty nervous about what I would hear. The nurse on the phone said that she was calling to let us know the pediatrician had looked over the results of the sleep study and......
Sophia has NO apnea. Ok. I repeated back what she said and she confirmed it. So my brain was kind of swirling and when I should've asked more about the results (why does she snore? what about the skipping breaths if it's not apnea?) I instead said something like, ok, well what do we do now? And she told me that we do nothing, just keep observing her...and then she said something I didn't even realize I was dreading....we'll possibly have to do the sleep study again in 6-12 months if things stay the same. Boo to that. It was bad enough as it was, I can't imagine doing that again when Sophia is older, stronger, and way more aware of things than she was this time around.
When I went in to tell Michael, I couldn't figure out if I was happy or relieved by what the nurse told me. I mean, we really don't know anything more than we did before the sleep study, except for the fact that she doesn't have actual sleep apnea (which technically can be up to 30 pauses in breathing per hour, lasting anywhere from a few seconds to as long as almost a minute....my guess is that Sophia doesn't quite meet those criteria).....it just doesn't really explain why she snores so loudly and does in fact skip some breaths as she sleeps. As we ate, Michael and I discussed what we would like to do next....and we decided that we will have our pediatrician's office fax us the copy of the results (presumably for our records) and then maybe even still go, with those results in hand, to an ENT....just to make sure we can rule out other things (enlarged tonsils or adenoids, for example) as well. I would so much rather be safe than sorry. I trust our pediatrician, but I also don't feel comfortable just sitting back and seeing what happens, so to speak. If every place we take her comes to the same conclusion, that there is nothing to worry about, then I won't worry. And, if worse comes to worse and we have to do the sleep study again, well, we will do it if we really have to.
For now, I choose to take the positive information, no sleep apnea, and be thankful for that. I know that no matter what, things will be ok and Michael and I will do everything we can to keep our little girl healthy and happy and well taken care of. And so while it may not be totally complete news right now, I think I can conclude, at this point, it is definitely good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment