Thursday, July 21, 2011

What a Chore....Literally

Today I decided to do something that I have yet to do since Sophia was born. Well, maybe I have made some quick runs for one or two things, but so far, I have not done a full grocery shop with just me and Sophia. Usually, Michael will go after work or we will all go together or I will run out myself after Michael gets home from work.
I don't know what I was thinking today. I didn't just have to do a full grocery shop, we needed stuff from Sam's as well. I am sure every mom out there can sympathize with how tough it is to take a baby grocery shopping. I personally dislike grocery shopping altogether (I prefer shopping for clothes, purses, shoes, etc instead!!) and dragging along a baby just makes it more unlikeable of a chore. I did wait until after Sophia had a good morning nap and ate her lunch before I ventured out.
I wanted to go to Sam's first...it is the farthest away from our house and I didn't have any cold items to buy there that I would have to worry about going bad in the extreme heat of my car while I hit up the grocery store. Of course, Sophia fell asleep on the way there. Sophia is old enough to sit in the front of the cart...but....if she is asleep then it is usually best to just keep her in her car seat. So I hefted her car seat into Sam's and put her in the (thankfully) over-sized cart. And of course she woke right up. Oh well. She seemed content as I wheeled around and added a giant box of diapers, wipes, some formula, some hand soap (let's put it this way, we will not need to buy hand soap again for a loooonnnggg time!), and then I had to also buy bottled water. Now I remember why I usually bring or send Michael to do this chore. A package of 32 bottles of water is HEAVY! And that was just kinda dragging it from a low position onto the bottom of the cart....it was ridiculous (I hope no one was watching) loading it from the bottom of the cart to my trunk. Even though by the time I got everything in the trunk and Sophia loaded in the backseat I was sweating like crazy, I felt pretty good about the Sam's portion of my chores. Now on to the grocery store.
I had to put Sophia in the front of the cart for this trip and she seemed pretty happy about it, kicking her feet and pointing at everyone and everything. I did have a list to go by and lots of coupons (um, cause Michael doesn't let us do grocery shopping without a list or coupons) so I started on one side of the store and added things to the cart as I went. I did have to put my diaper bag in the cart so I only had half the space to work with, but I was just making it work at this point. About an hour later, I was finally done collecting the items and was pretty frustrated because I now had to add on a trip to Target to pick up the things that Publix didn't have. Target is right next to our Publix, but still, another trip really wasn't in my plan and by this point I was pretty tired (I spent more time than I cared to searching for stupid grape jelly....apparently Publix moved the pb&j aisle....now it is with the bread, which totally makes sense but annoyed me to no end while I looked for it in practically every other aisle). I loaded my car with all the bags, grabbed Sophia out of the front of the cart and the diaper bag from the back and half ran to Target. A few guys were standing around out front and as I walked by one said something to the effect of 'that baby looks like she's breaking your arm'....or something like that. I just nodded and smiled and hurried past them before they decided to take advantage of my hands-full situation and grab my bag. It was a record Target stop. I didn't even look in the baby clothes section!! As I ran out toward my car (I had gotten a cart inside and Sophia was happily in the front, my diaper bag and purchases in the back), the same guys were there and one said, 'whoa she was quick, is that her?' Kinda creepy that they were apparently keeping tabs on me and timing my shopping trip. I definitely got out of there quick, not that I needed any motivation.
So, all in all, I was gone for about two and a half hours, probably sweated off five pounds, spent an undisclosed amount of money and did the grocery shopping all by myself!! And then when I got home I realized there was no way I could get all that crap, plus my again sleeping baby, into the house. Thankfully Michael was able to come home from work (it was the end of the day, he didn't just leave in the middle or anything), help me unload, then went back to do some more work (since he planned to work late anyway). So not quite an all-by-myself grocery shopping trip! Close enough. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment