Tuesday, July 26, 2011

When There's Nothing On TV

Michael and I watch a lot of TV. We used to not watch as much, but I think since we got our DVR a few years ago it has just been easier to get hooked on more shows....we don't have to watch them when they are on, we can just tape it and watch another time. We very rarely watch a show when it is on anymore. But we do watch so many more shows now. And it is kinda nice to not have to watch commercials.
During the regular season of television shows, our DVR definitely gets a work out. We watch a lot of drama.....Entourage, One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl and 90210 (Michael won't watch those, that is all me), Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice. We watch a lot of comedy.....How I Met Your Mother, The Middle, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, The Office. We also watch some competition type shows.....Food Network Challenges, Road Rules/Real World Challenges on MTV. And I watch a lot of reality shows that Michael doesn't care about.....any Housewives (usually two cities are on at any given time), Teen Mom/16 and Pregnant, Guiliana and Bill, some shows on TLC (always crap, but they suck me in anyway), and whatever else catches my interest at the time. Plus we watch a handful of shows on the Food Network and HGTV. It's a lot, I know, and I am probably leaving some out.
Lately a lot of these shows have been on a break for the summer, to film new episodes (and to give our DVR a break, haha), and Michael and I have had to find other ways to pass the time instead of sitting in front of the TV catching up a weeks worth of shows. I've have actually really enjoyed doing things other than just watching TV, although we still do a little bit of it, we are definitely not ruled by it at all.
One night, we put Sophia in her exersaucer and blew bubbles at her....at first she just stood still like a stone and squinted her little eyes but then she got into it and was jumping and batting at the bubbles....it was SO cute! Yes, it was a pretty big mess to clean up (thankfully we only had to mop the wood floor half a dozen times to get the soap up, haha) but it was worth the fun.
Another night, we played the Wii for a few hours (not Sophia, she was in her exersaucer watching us). We had a bowling competition and also a canoeing competition that we had to work together on...it was hilarious....my arm was so sore the next day! That probably counts as a little bit of exercise, right?! And Sophia thought it was funny every time Mommy would jump up and down and protest an unfairness or dance around to celebrate a win.
Last night we decided to work together to straighten up the house while Sophia crawled around us and tried to undo our work. Even though I do little chores during the day while Michael is at work (well, laundry is never a little chore but the other stuff sometimes falls by the wayside) I like when we do chores together...it makes me want to do more, clean more, organize more when someone else is working along side me.
Today I was able to tackle a chore that I had been putting off for several months....going through all of Sophia's clothes that she has grown out of and separating the donate and keeps. I have just been boxing everything up as she has grown out of it and it was taking up too much room in her closet. So I set to the task of going through every item and trying to decide what I would keep and what I would donate. Seeing her little tiny clothes made me miss that age...I think I probably kept more of those items than some of the things she just grew out of. I ended up with three big garbage bags full of things to donate, had plenty of boxes to store the keep items in and they fit much more neatly into her closet.
I like when there isn't as much on TV. I feel more productive. I feel like I am spending more quality time with my husband and daughter (even though we are still all together when something is on TV). Michael and I have actually discussed cutting our cable altogether. Or maybe just the DVR. It would save us money and make us weed out the shows we really like to watch together and would free up more of our time to spend doing other, more productive, things. Sure, there will always be some trashy reality show that I could sit down and watch...but I hope that the more time away from the TV that I spend, the less I will miss it and the more I will be able to enjoy other, more fun ways to pass the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment