Monday, October 31, 2011

Carving Pumpkins

Last Tuesday we carved the pumpkins we got from the pumpkin patch. For some reason we decided to involve Sophia in this activity.
She didn't really want to touch any of the goopy stuff from the inside of the pumpkin but was very interested in the seeds. We only had to fish two out of her mouth. :-) She was also interested in the carving tools so that was fun to try and keep her away from them the whole time. And even though she didn't want to touch it, she seemed to want to walk through the pile of discarded goop. Thanks to Michael's great carving skills we ended up with a good looking Minnie pumpkin (which Sophia recognized as Minnie and really liked) and another spooky pumpkin (my request, Halloween just isn't the same without a spooky pumpkin).
Another favorite part of Halloween and pumpkin carving for me is roasting the pumpkin seeds. Normally I can barely wait for the seeds to dry out before I stick them on a pan and into the oven to roast. This time I waited a full two days for them to dry before roasting them. This turned out to be an epic fail. After they were in the oven only a few minutes I heard a popping sound. When I when into the kitchen to investigate, it turns out the super dry seeds were popping off the pan like popcorn. And they tasted like cardboard when I finally took them out. Ugh. Next year they are going straight from the pumpkin to the oven, just minus the goop.















Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment