Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy

So clearly I have not been spending a lot of time on the blog lately.  I've had some things to blog about, but just have been too busy to get to it.  And I'm still in the middle of the busy, so I'll try to update for now and hopefully not disappear for too long! 
After Dillon's graduation (my last post) we had a fun party for him on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.  It was nice to celebrate his accomplishment and have the usual family friends over to swim and eat good food with us.  I don't even remember what we did the Monday of Memorial Day weekend.  My brother then came home with us....he started work at the credit union Michael works at so he was just going to be staying with us for the work weeks.  That is going ok so far...besides the fact that we don't have a guest room so he is sleeping on the floor in Sophia's playroom at night!  We do actually have a pull out couch, but Dillon decided that would be too much work to fold it in and out every day....whatever floats his boat. 
Wednesday of last week, my Mom had surgery.  This is her third major surgery in about 12 or so years...and this particular one was similar to the first one she had (on her spine, in the neck area).  I was a tad nervous about it, but it actually went quite well.  I was also a bit nervous about visiting her in the hospital....despite a several day stay at one just a year and a half ago for my c-section, I am not a fan of hospitals.  They smell funny and make me very nervous.  Mom's last surgery was actually on her brain and much more serious than the spinal surgeries and when I went in to visit her and saw her in so much pain I almost threw right up.  It would probably be a different story if it was not someone that I care about in that position, but that memory did crop up in my mind before this surgery.  She was still in a good deal of pain after this surgery, but besides a collar on her neck and an oxygen mask over her nose, it wasn't the same as the last time.  So pretty much as soon as I saw her and knew she was ok, I was ok.  But I will say my stomach was in knots before that point.  She did so well that she was able to go home on Thursday afternoon.  And she is steadily getting stronger and able to move around a bit more...although she will be in her collar and taking things easy for an entire month.  For my Mom, who is usually on the go all the time, she is probably already bored with the laying around the house.  But the whole family was there at the house with her this past weekend and I am sure she was at least a little entertained by her grandchildren, if nothing else.  Sophia appreciates the opportunity to get in to any and everything while I am trying to do something for Grammy.  So that has been fun and tiring. 
This week is a lot more of the same, going back and forth between my house and my Mom's house to help keep her company while my Dad works and to help take care of her and keep her medications straight and stuff like that.  Michael is going out of town for a business trip of sorts...a training class in Athens that will last a full week.  I don't think we have ever been apart for that long since we've gotten married...it will be very weird.  I am planning on taking Soph to Birmingham to visit my sister (and Jay and Cooper) for a few days next week to break up the time without Michael.  And then of course I will be with my Mom for some of the time too. 
The busy-ness of our days doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon.  I don't so much mind it, it gives us a lot to look forward to anyway.  But being so busy seems to make time fly by, even faster than normal.  And some of the little things (like blogging or cleaning my house up real good) seem to go by the wayside during the rush of days and plans flying by.  I swear, laundry is the only thing I feel like I can really stay on top of!
I will try to be better about updating the blog.  Hopefully there will be more exciting things to blog about in the near future, other than just day to day busy stuff.  I guess life just sometimes is the busy moments....not bad at all, but not super entertaining to a crowd!  I am sure all five of my readers will hang on the edge of their seats for some entertainment from me....haha!!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment