Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Breaking News!

I must interrupt these riveting posts about our Disney trip (yeah, right...I am sure they aren't that exciting) to give you some even more fabulous news....I do not have to buy a dress for Michael's Christmas party this year!!
I am sure you just fell off your chair with the utter shock and excitement of that statement.
I feel pretty certain that I have blogged in the past of my hatred of shopping for a dress for this particular event (and I am too lazy to look back to confirm this for sure). It always costs a ridiculous amount (dress, shoes, proper foundation garments) and then I am never quite comfortable with my choice in the end. And not to mention, starting last year, I had a baby in tow for the shopping "fun". At least last year she was super tiny and would stay in the stroller and my friend Jennifer came along to help me out. This year, as a toddler, I can only imagine how horrific the shopping trip would be, friendly help or not. Not to mention that it is a week from this Saturday, so I don't have a lot of time to find something.
So you can imagine my surprise when I peeked into the darkest depths of my closet (trust me, if you have seen my closet, there are definitely some dark depths) and found a dress that I really loved that I wore from a Christmas party of my Dad's the year that Michael and I were engaged (Dec of 2008). I did not have high hopes that the dress would actually fit me. There was a single digit on the label after all. But, oh, the thought of not having to brave the mall with a one year old who would surely not want to be there as I tried on dress after dress made me hope and pray just a little more that it would somehow magically work out. I tried it on....but could not get the zipper up. I did not despair at first. It seemed a little snug in the chest region (but when I wore it the first time it was loose in that region....let's face it, the second I got pregnant nothing was ever loose in that region again. So annoying.) and I couldn't contort myself enough to see if it would zip all the way or was just too tight altogether. I would have to just wait (an agonizing number of hours) until Michael got home from work so he could help me hopefully zip it all the way up.
And when he finally was able to help me......IT ZIPPED ALL THE WAY UP!!!!!! Like I said, much more snug in the chest area than when I first wore it. But nothing was going to pop out for sure. No fat hanging over the arm holes (a serious pet peeve of mine when I look at myself in a dress, yuck). And it has a nice bottom part that covers the less than perfect parts without me even having to wear any uncomfortable undergarments (like Spanx...which I hate). Oh, did I mention that the last time I wore this dress was when MICHAEL AND I WERE ENGAGED??!!! I guess my recent work out plan of walk a million miles a Disney and my weight regiment of alternately hold a 22 pound baby and unknown pound heavy backpack paid off.
The best part is that I have shoes that will look perfect with it (ok, so I wore them last year but I am sure that so many people were looking at how fat I looked in my unflattering dress that they didn't even notice my shoes) and won't have to set foot into the mall or spend one penny for this Christmas party!! Nah, the best part is definitely the size of the dress and that I fit into it and that it actually looks decent. Plus, I do have to spend something to have it dry cleaned....I got some deodorant on it as I was contorting to try and zip it myself, haha.
Now back to the regularly scheduled blog posts of Disney adventures.....but pictures of the Christmas party to come for sure, as I am actually somewhat excited for it this year for a change!!

No comments:

Post a Comment