Monday, April 30, 2012

Fashion Lover

I have always, in some way or another, been into fashion.  Interested in what the stars are wearing.  What shoes, what purses are being carried, what jeans, what sunglasses are "in".  Which designers are popular. That kind of thing. And how I can get it for myself...usually I've had to be creative about that, given the fact that the most popular stuff is not cheap.  I LOVE a good sale.  (Remind me to tell you how I got my first pair of Marc Jacobs shoes, haha.)  I also feel like I end up watching some of the trashier reality shows (you know what I mean, the Housewives of everywhere) to pretty much see what the ladies are wearing.  Housewives really don't dress that way, I'm pretty sure.  But it's like watching a fashion show each week!!   
So it makes perfect sense that I am totally addicted to a new show...it is sort of a reality show, sort of a game show...not really sure how it's classified, but I don't care.  It's Fashion Star! 
I admit that, despite my love of fashion, I am not super fashionable.  I try...well, I used to try more.  My closet is full of super cute shoes and some cute dresses, tops and other items (I could probably buy our groceries for six months at least if I decided to sell my purse collection and I would probably maybe cry if Sophia ever broke a pair of my sunglasses).  But it's a lot tougher now, as a mom (or maybe just as a responsible adult), to be as fashionable as I might want to be.  I still love it, but we have a lot of other things to spend our money on now (which I do not mind at all spending every dime we have on Sophia, she's definitely my little princess) and being a 'fashionable mom' isn't the most important thing to me.  That being said, I still will try my hardest and stress over my appearance and clothing choices whenever I have to leave the house, haha.  Old habits die hard, I guess!  I'm glad I have a little girl to hopefully share my love for fashion with.  I'm excited to teach her all about some of the designers I love...I am sure Michael does not share that same excitement, hahaha!
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. 
I was excited to hear about the concept of Fashion Star before it started.  If you haven't seen it or heard about it, here is the gist of it.....up and coming wannabe fashion designers make three pieces to parade in front of the three mentors (Nicole Richie, Jessica Simpson and John Varvatos) and then they give their opinion of the pieces.  After that, they turn around to face the buyers, from Macy's, Saks 5th Avenue or H&M.  If they get a buy, they are safe.  If not, they are at risk to go home.  From those that don't get a buy, three are chosen as the lowest of the bunch.....the mentors can save one from going home and then the buyers send one packing.  Each week the process repeats.  I love it!  Also, if a store buys a piece, you can actually buy it from their store after the show on their website.  (If you want to watch, the show comes on Tuesday nights on NBC I think)
Even Sophia likes watching the show with me, when the clothes come down the runway they play dance music and she boogies down.  Michael watches too, for the buyers aspect, of course.  He may not have wanted me to share that, haha.  But I like that it is our family show!  We all like to watch it, for different reasons.  It is fun and upbeat and not trashy reality (like possibly some of the other shows I may or may not watch) and I feel like even though I might not rush out and buy the same pieces that the buyers are scooping up, at least I can say that I know what the trends are for the season....just in case I do want to update my wardrobe (Lord knows it sure does need to be updated).
I must say that I feel like I mostly end up liking the dresses the most.  I am never going to look good in some tall person trouser pair of pants with a long stripe up the side or never ever going to look good in a one piece body suit so those items never catch my eye (even if they do the buyer).  But a dress...oh yeah.  I find that I am often hoping that Macy's or H&M will make a buy of something I like...mostly so I can afford it, haha.  I love Saks...in theory.  But I really can't afford to shop there and on the occasion that a super cute dress has been snatched up by Saks I will check it out on their site...and sure enough it's priced at over $200!!  Yikes.  But good for the fashion designer.
The show has been going on for a while now, only three shows left (I think they are down to 7 or 8 designers remaining) so soon a winner will be chosen and I am interested to see what the fashion "star" will ultimately win.  I feel like each designer that gets a buy each week is sort of winning....and being on the show has to help them out in some way....giving them exposure for sure.  I am excited to see who comes out on top.  I feel like more than just rooting for one person, I am rooting for the designs that I like...and that seems to change each week.  But there are certainly designers that I like less than the others.  It's not that I really don't specifically dislike someone just because they don't make a design that I am interested in.  Which makes it a very interesting show for me.  There are no clear 'bad guys' versus 'good guys'.  Each week can change my opinion, based on what designs are brought to the runway.  I definitely hope that this show comes back for another cycle...the way Celebrity Apprentice does or Survivor or Biggest Loser or some of those shows that I have watched and watched and watched....cause I am totally hooked on Fashion Star!!

No comments:

Post a Comment