Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Corn on the Bus

Sophia loves to sing.  And she picks up songs pretty quickly.  Well, pretty much picks them up.  She also is fairly demanding of which songs she wants to sing and when.  For example, she likes the Wheels on the Bus a lot.  So she will roll her arms round and round and say round and round and that is your cue to sing the Wheels on the Bus.  Or she will want a different verse of that song so she will say shh, shh, shh and I have to sing the what the mommies on the bus do, and so forth.  Yesterday she was on my lap in the rocker and we were singing and out of nowhere she kept saying the corn, the corn.  So, naturally, I am clueless as I can't think of a song we sing that includes corn.  Then she decides to give me a hint:  beep, beep, beep. 
OH!  I feel like I see where this one is going and I am trying soooo hard to not laugh and I ask her if she wants me to sing the corn on the bus goes beep, beep, beep?!  And she smiles and nods and waits for me to sing.  Unfortunately I am hysterically laughing.  Thankfully at this point she is not offended by my laughter and laughs along with me, although I can tell it is a courtesy laugh and she isn't sure what we are laughing at.  Even though I sing the HORN on the bus, she sings loud and clear that the CORN on the bus beep, beep, beeps away.  And it makes me laugh every time. 
This is not the first of her....misunderstandings, shall we call them...of a song lyric.  She has, for some time now, been able to sing the entire I Love You Barney song.  However, instead of us being a happy family, she always sings that we are a happy GAMILY.  And nope, I have no clue what a gamily is. 
There are other cute word things that she is doing these days too, not just in songs.  She will say "I like it" when she likes something (especially in reference to food).  And recently, to express her dislike, she will say, "I like it no"....instead of saying I no like it, or the more acceptable, I don't like it.  Basically, she will make sure we know if she doesn't like something, and she doesn't care if she is grammatically incorrect to do it! 
I LOVE that Sophia is getting so much better at communicating with us.  I get so excited when she recognizes letters (she can only really pick out about 4 or 5 by sight so far, but that seems impressive to me given the fact that we don't practice it too much) and remembers when we tell her things (like she knows that m is the first letter of the word mama and c is the first letter of the word Cooper and she can spell her own name already, stuff like that) and can repeat it back to us....she is such a little sponge.  I love her singing, even if she gets a few words wrong here and there.  She has the cutest little voice and seems to like to sing at top volume no matter what the song is (or even if we are singing to wind down before bedtime...apparently that still calls for a very loud rendition of Twinkle Twinkle!).  And I love to hear about the corn on the bus...even if I had no idea that it went beep, beep, beep....did you??!! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by from KK, I'm also N of Atl. Feel free to stop by my blog, kierstenclark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete