Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Crazy Girl

Sophia is nearly seven months old and she definitely has her own little personality now for sure. She has been doing a few different things lately that are pretty strange and amusing...well, kind of.

First of all, she puts everything in her mouth. Not at all odd for a baby. Some of the things are fine for her to put in there, toys, her bibs, burp cloths, her hands etc. Some things really are not. The remote, my iphone.....my feet. On two separate occasions I caught her licking my foot...thankfully one of the times I had my slippers on....not that it makes it any better, I've had that pair of slippers for quite some time and while I haven't walked outside in them (I don't think) I have walked pretty much everywhere else in them. And the other time she licked the side of my bare foot (which is SO gross...for her and me, I HATE my feet being touched, let alone licked, ugh!) before I noticed she was aiming for it. As you can tell she is not very discerning about what goes in her mouth. Except.....for the one thing we actually want her to put in her mouth....Puffs!! For those reading (anyone?) who don't know, Puffs are these little star shaped cheerio type of snack for babies that basically just dissolve in the mouth, no real chewing required. She will pick them up and push them around whatever surface they are on (yeah, they usually end up on the floor) and even open her mouth and let me put one in...but no way is she putting it in her mouth on her own. I can't decide if she doesn't know that is what she is supposed to do, is just lazy, or just doesn't really like them.

Next, she has never been a fan of tummy time. I was so surprised when she finally turned over on to her back and even more surprised when she turned over from her back to her tummy. She just doesn't seem to like to be on her stomach and usually whines/cries pretty quickly and just puts her face down until we decide that we'd rather her not smother herself and just put her on her back to play. I guess making her endure a little tummy time each day has paid off....but gone a little too far the other way....now every time we put her in the crib to sleep she immediately turns on to her stomach. And she doesn't really like it, she scoots all around and tries to turn back over (sometimes the crib rail blocks her from doing so and then she gets really mad)...and then she seems to give up and just goes to sleep....on her tummy. Michael and I never know if we should flip her back over or leave her to sleep that way. The first few nights she went through this I didn't sleep much, I was pretty sure she would just leave her nose down on the mattress and not bother with the whole breathing thing. However, she seems to be ok sleeping on her belly so now I don't worry so much. But she still is not a huge fan when we purposely put her on her stomach to play.

She has been doing some really cute things too lately. She nods her little head randomly and ends up looking like a little bobble-head. I've tried to ask her yes/no questions so it looks like she is answering me with the affirmative, but she kinda just does it whenever she wants to, even if I haven't said anything to her at all. It's pretty cute and when I laugh at her for doing it, she smiles and knows she is being cute. She also has been pretty non-stop with saying Da Da....sometimes on and on and she gets louder and louder. It's cute, but I sure wish she would say Ma Ma. I try to get her to say it but she answers with a head nod or even worse, Da Da. Eventually I know she'll say Ma Ma....I'm not giving up hope!!
I definitely love this age, Sophia is learning so much and becoming such a big girl and I can't believe how different she is now from when she was born! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about her sleeping on her tummy. Once they can roll over themselves they are just fine to sleep which ever way they want. It is hard the first time around. I wish I was closer to see her!! I may be coming around in July at some point. Miss ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see all of these new developments in a couple days! Have you started teaching her "Aunt Sara" yet??

    ReplyDelete