Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Outrageous is an Understatement

Wow. Yet again I have been sucked into a ridiculous reality show on TLC. This one is called Outrageous Kid Parties. I just watched exactly one episode and almost broke my ankle running to get my laptop to blog about it.
I really don't even know where to start to explain how ridiculous and over the top this party turned out to be. It was for a six year old little girl....who her mother claimed she lived in a fantasy land of make believe and princesses and all that and she just wanted to capture that child-like innocence in a great princess-themed party. I think the mother was the one in the fantasy world....the tally for the cost of the party was $32,000. No, I didn't accidentally add too many zeros. Thirty-two grand. For a six year old. The total of both mine and my sister's weddings did not add up to this total.
Just to break down a few of the more ridiculous costs.....the invitations cost $3000. All the invitations I have ever sent in my life (graduation, my wedding, my daughter's recent christening, etc), including postage, do not add up to this.
The cake was $2000. For six year olds. It was many tiered and looked like a wedding cake. Again, add up all the cakes I have ever eaten and you won't get to two grand. And the cake at my daughter's recent christening wasn't exactly cheap. Even a hundred of them wouldn't equal this one birthday cake.
The dress for the birthday girl was $750. My wedding dress was not much more. And it was for my wedding. Michael has given me the "do you still want to be on our bank account?" look for just looking at a cute pair of $35 Ralph Lauren shoes for Sophia...no way would I dare spend that much on a dress she would wear for one day. (Side note....I definitely have purchased cute dresses or outfits that Soph will only wear for one day...but you can be darn sure it was on sale...and I probably had a coupon too!)
I have watched many a reality show about over the top weddings and how expensive they can be. Shows that include enormous price tags for the wedding dress alone. I guess if you are an adult, assume that your wedding will only be one day in your lifetime, and want to blow as much money as the cost of a house on one day, have at it. But to spend that much money on a child's birthday, a day that occurs once a year, is so insane! What will these people do for this little girl's sweet 16?? Which reminds me of another ridicuous show...My Super Sweet 16. At least these parties usually include a car (and we all know the cost of a Mercedes doesn't come cheap, haha).
I know we are going to spoil Sophia a lot as she grows. Maybe we will buy her a car if she is a responsible teenager. Maybe we will contribute a lot to her wedding day, if we have it to give. But I know, without even consulting my husband, that we won't be spending anywhere near thirty-two thousand dollars for ANY of her birthday parties. And I don't think that makes us bad parents....maybe just budget conscious??!! She will have nice, memorable parties every year, but we won't go into debt to make that happen. Or, more importantly, we won't turn her into a spoiled little brat who expects us to drop bucket-loads of money on her parties.
I am about to watch another episode about a lady that is going to spend thirty grand to have a circus party for her two kids.....oh my God, she just spent $4000 on a cake!! What is wrong with these people??!!
Once again, I just need to turn off the TV and cut out the reality shows....something to give up for Lent, perhaps???!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment