Wednesday, March 7, 2012

18 Months Already?!


I really cannot believe that Sophia Rose is a year and a half today.  It is amazing how fast time goes by, how quickly she is learning new things (pretty much daily at this point), and how she is changing from a baby to a little girl right in front of my eyes.  It kinda makes me sad!  But it is also pretty awesome to see her little personality developing, and boy does she have a sweet, loving, and feisty personality!!  I sure do love this girl! 

I feel like we were just in the hospital, celebrating her arrival.  And now, eighteen months later, we have daily conversations about what she wants to eat, her various relatives (she talks about her cousin Cooper the most, sorry to the rest of you...Uncle Dill, you come in second for sure), and her favorite characters (Minnie and Belle and Elmo are the faves...some days I think she says Belle more than she says Mama).  She talks SO much.  And actually says a lot of words.  I wish I could keep track, could somehow write down how many words that she is saying now, but there are too many, I have already lost count for sure.  Oh, and she is already copying things that we say.  Something that I thought we had a little more time before she would start doing.  Which means we have to be a little more careful in the things that we say.  There have been a few things that may or may not be appropriate for a one and half year old to say slip out of her mouth (and I will not give up who she might have copied when she said them!!).  She is learning her ABC's.  But she really only likes the number 2.  She can sing almost the entire I Love You song from Barney (you know the one...) complete with a hug and kiss where appropriate.  And my favorite, when we tell her that we love her, she says 'I love you more!'  A couple times she has said 'I love you, mama' without any prompting at all....that really just melts my heart.  I guess it's ok that my baby is growing up!!  We don't always understand what she is saying.  There will be words that she will say and we are like, um, what?  And she will say it over and over and look right at us and keep saying it.  And times when she just blabbers on a whole conversation of gibberish....clearly she knows exactly what she is talking about but we are totally clueless.  For the most part she has been ok and doesn't freak out (so far) when we don't know what she says....I am sure that won't last!

Sophia definitely does have her little temper moments.  The terrible two's might be closer than we think.  (Also please note that her father is Italian and disregard that I have any Italian in me, I am sure that has nothing to do with it at all!)  Each day we have 'disagreements' over diapers changes (as in, they need to be done and she turns into a WWF wrestler for the event), 'disagreements' over playing in the trash (as in, it is a big no no, so I am constantly dragging her out of the kitchen all day long...unfortunately another of her fave characters, Oscar, lives in the trash....the fact that we try to explain he is a bad boy and needs a spanking for playing in the trash means nothing to her), and the occasional 'disagreement' that I have no idea what it's about, but it leads to her throwing the closest object to her (examples: her water cup, the remote when I am trying to take it away, our cell phones when we are trying to take them away, various toys, and earlier this week her english muffin....don't even ask me why on that one). Sometimes (although a lot less lately), I will find her temper tantrum to just be funny.  She gets so bent out of shape about something so ridiculous and lays down on the floor on her stomach and pushes herself backward until she runs into the wall, while scowling and whining.  It is sort of a funny thing to see.  But in other circumstances, like I am trying to get her dressed and she is kicking me like a mule right in my chest, I am not so amused at all.  She understands, and responds appropriately, to the time-out punishment, and we have used it when needed.  She always screams the entire time, but afterwards hugs us and says she is sorry and that she will be a good girl and then really is a good girl.  We really haven't had to use the time-out much....but I can see that it could be an increasing thing as she gets older and that our punishment methods will have to change/get more strict as she is a pretty stubborn girl (not sure where she got that from!) and I can see she is going to test us!!

General info about our girl....not sure about her height and weight, our appointment isn't till Monday (but she was 24 lbs and 30.5 inches at her 15 month check-up).  She is in size 4 diapers and is mostly wearing 18-24 month clothing...although I am not buying any more 18 month clothes, only 24 month stuff from here on out.  Soph had 12 teeth the last time I checked...she seems to be definitely cutting more...hands in the mouth all the time, drooling a lot, crabby...but she won't let me check and I am not putting my fingers in there, she's like a little piranha!  I'll let the doc handle that on Monday.  Sophia goes to bed around 9-ishSoph when he gets home from work) and gets up between 9 and 9:30 each day...but sometimes she sleeps as late as 10!  Those days are very nice for me.  She has definitely dropped her second nap...but since she sleeps in most days, this isn't too bad.  And she'll nap anywhere from two to three hours so she is getting plenty of sleep.  Thankfully she sleeps well in the car and in places other than her crib and really isn't a total bear if she doesn't get a long nap...makes it great for mommy if we have day plans.  As for food...she is a pretty good eater.  Breakfast type foods seem to be her favorite.  She loves most fruits and veggies.  And, like her mommy, she could probably live on dairy and pasta.  We are working on meats, she is fine with chicken, but not too fond of many other meats.  Daddy isn't super happy about that!!  Despite hating getting her diaper changed, she has started to tell us when she has a poop in her diaper (as if we can't smell or something...I'm pretty sure even the neighbors know, yuck!!)...I guess this means that sooner or later we will need to potty train her.  Something mommy really isn't looking forward to.  I still think she is kind of young though, so while we do let her sit on her little potty sometimes for practice (nothing has actually happened there so far), we will probably start the hard core stuff closer to when she turns two.  Yay.

As for me after eighteen months.  I think I am finally getting the hang of the mommy thing, haha!!  Just kidding, I probably had it down by at least twelve months.  It is definitely the most tiring job I've ever had.  And most days I have no idea what I am doing.  But, in these 18 months, I must've figured out something right....my little girl eats when she is hungry, sleeps when she is tired, she talks a lot, cuddles with us, throws a tantrum here and there (which I could do without, but I guess we all throw a tantrum now and then....we'll work on that).....she seems like a pretty normal one and a half year old with pretty normal parents.  Ok, well, I don't know if her parents are that normal, but you get the idea! I love my daughter SO much and I am so lucky that each day I get to wake up and chit-chat about Belle and Minnie and Elmo and decide between eggs or cheerios or an eggo waffle or an english muffin or a yo baby yogurt or applesauce (ok, I don't really give her all of that stuff, those are just some choices) and then watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (she dances so fast to the hot dog dance, swinging her butt back and forth, I am sure she is going to fall over one of these days!) with my sweet little Sophia Rose!  Happy year and a half, I can't believe how big you are and how much your Daddy and I love you more and more each and every day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment