Friday, July 27, 2012

I Don't Care

Last night, before the Aerosmith concert (which was AWESOME, post to come for sure), my sister and brother and I sat down to have a quick bite to eat in the CNN center before going in to the concert.  Dillon and I chose to get Chick-fil-a.  And while we were eating, ironically, we had to listen to the whole debate on the recent "Chick-fil-a debacle" coming from a giant TV in the atrium of the CNN center. 
Been living in a box and don't know what I am talking about?  Basically, head of Chick-fil-a says he opposes gay marriage. 
And this is apparently HUGE news, worth every single talk show and radio show and random person in the country debating over....if he should have an opinion. 
I will take a moment to say that if you read my blog at all, you know that I pretty much stay away from controversial issues and blog mainly about personal things, or things that affect me and my family.  Well, this is not one of those issues, but since it did affect my enjoyment of my original chicken sandwich with a side of fries last night, I have decided to just add my two cents on the matter. 
And those two cents are that Dan Cathey can think and say whatever he wants to, I am still going to eat a chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-a and am still going to order grilled chicken nuggets for my daughter and am still going to make my husband pick me up whatever in-season milkshake flavor is being sold when I want one (hold the whip cream and cherry, please).  His opinion of gay marriage (or world peace or how to best decorate a living room or the best vacation location or really any topic at all) does not affect me.  IF he decides to inject steroids into the potatoes that make the waffle fries so they are huge mutant potatoes that produce five times the waffle fry...well, that would pretty much affect me and then I guess I would stop eating the waffle fries.  But I'd still visit Chick-fil-a for a banana pudding milkshake. I personally do not base my consumption habits on the personal beliefs of top company execs. 
I guess I am confused as to why the guy can't have his opinion, even if 100% of the population may or may not agree with said opinion (is there ever 100% agreement on any opinion??).  Maybe news is slow?  I just think surely there has got to be more pressing matters to report on and debate over on our news channels. This news show that I was pretty much forced to watch (it was piped through the loud speaker and the TV hanging overhead was probably a 200 and something inch at least) was focusing on the fact that Chicago or somewhere was possibly planning on cancelling plans to add a Chick-fil-a to the city due to the comment.  I guess the city can have their opinion that they don't like the opinion of Chick-fil-a but I don't know if it's legal to prevent Chick-fil-a from opening a restaurant there (I'm definitely not a lawyer....but my brother-in-law is...whoo hoo!!).  Anyway, I know of at least three Chick-fil-a's in my area that I can go to if I get a craving (have I mentioned the awesome milkshakes?!) so that doesn't particularly affect me either. 
Furthermore, in this instance, I think even if he didn't outright say it, we already know what the founder of Chick-fil-a might think on certain matters.  It is a company formed on Christian values.  I mean, come on, they are closed every single Sunday (is it just me or does anyone else totally crave Chick-fil-a every Sunday?!).  I bet he's against abortion too.  I guess as long as he doesn't say it out loud, it will not be a big deal to those that don't personally share that same opinion.  I thought we lived in a country that you are free to say out loud whatever you believe in...I'll have to check Wikipedia though and get back to you on that one.  :-)
I am not a lover of fast food but I can't find anything to complain about with Chick-fil-a.  The food tastes good, the people that work there are super friendly and serve you fast and with a smile.  You can actually find "good for you" options on the menu.  (Not the milkshake, but once in a while you've got to indulge!)
I sure hope no one else cares that I will continue to enjoy my Chick-fil-a. It will most certainly affect me (negatively) if I am flour-bombed while trying to enjoy my sandwich (what was Kim Kardashian flour-bombed for? I can't even remember anymore....) and fries. And you should never mess with someone while they are eating. That could just get ugly.  If someone does care about what and where I am eating....well, that is just weird.  If I become obese because I have a peach milkshake from Chick-fil-a for breakfast, lunch and dinner, well, ok, go ahead and intervene. 
While I personally don't care what the founder or any of the other employees think of many issues unrelated to my food service, good for Chick-fil-a for sticking to their core beliefs.  I know my family will still continue to eat their chicken, waffle fries and milkshakes as much as we can afford to (money wise and health wise...we don't always choose the most healthy menu options, haha).  And I'll just have to get over those Sunday cravings!
While we are talking about things I don't really care a ton about.....every time I turn on the radio someone is talking about the "huge controversy" over Kristen whats-her-name cheating on Robert Pattinson.  If I did care, would I be shocked?  Not really.  I don't know either of them (barely know of them, I can't say I am a vampire fan) but I can safely say I didn't really see their relationship lasting forever.  And that is the extent of my discussion on that, because even that is a stretch on how much I care to talk about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment