Saturday, July 28, 2012

Aerosmith ROCKS!!!

I don't think it is a secret that my family (the Mercer clan) loves Aerosmith. While it is safe to say that my parents grew up with their music, it is also safe to say that my sister, brother and I grew up with Aerosmith music as well.  Their style and lyrics have transcended the decades...or something like that.  I am very excited to introduce Aerosmith to my own daughter (and any subsequent kids)...but I will wait just a little bit longer (due to a lesson learned when my brother taught his pre-school class the lyrics to Love In An Elevator....oops!) until Sophia is at least a little bit older.  Oddly, my brother, who is now 18, had never seen the band perform until this last Thursday night when he, my sister and I went to the most recent concert. 
The band members are all older than my parents but still seem to have a successful group (despite a break up here and there and a smattering of rehab situations...) that continues to tour.  I have seen them perform and handful of times and really only the last time a couple of years ago was a bust.  'Ol Steven Tyler was on drugs or in some sort of pain (jumping around like a crazy person for several decades can take a toll, I'm sure) and cut the show short.  At one of my top 5 concerts ever, we saw Fuel as the opening act and then Aerosmith, in which Steven Tyler himself handed his half drank Gatorade to my sister!  It was awesome. 
Anyway, back to this particular concert.  It is probably safe to say that Aerosmith won't be making too many more tours.  Maybe one more, if we are lucky.  Sophia and Cooper will surely never see them take the stage.  I'm super glad that Dillon was able to attend this one (my Dad and him actually drove to Ohio or somewhere like that a couple years ago for a concert and found out when they got there that the show had been cancelled.  Bummer.) with Sara and me. 
Cheap Trick opened.  I must say, I'm not much of a Cheap Trick fan.  I sort of hate that song, I Want You to Want Me.  Can't really put my finger on why, but there it is.  Anyway, we got to our seats with only a few Cheap Trick songs left.  Perfect timing, if you ask me.  We had gotten pretty good seats, second row in the second section at Philips, on the right side of the stage.  Much closer to the action than we were for the NKOTBSB concert (which was actually the last concert I went to, about a year or so ago).  The crowd was pretty much just what you would expect an Aerosmith crowd to be.  Quite a few older patrons, haha.  Many scantily clad ladies.  Actually, before we went into the arena, Sara and I were in the bathroom with two over dressed ladies who were literally putting on more make-up than I have worn in the last three months combined.  Not exactly sure what they were getting so dolled up for, it's not likely they were going to be noticed by the band or anything.  Whatever.  Anyway, a guy with a gray ponytail and a Hawaiian shirt  who was one row in front of us provided an entertaining show for us with his drunken dance moves. 
Once Aerosmith started, I was totally surprised at how great they sounded.  I guess after the last time I was just expecting something other than the greatness that they are.  So glad they proved me wrong.  They totally still have it.  They rocked that place out!!  Sara and I screamed our heads off and sang at the top of our lungs (I mean, that is just what you are supposed to do, right?).  Dillon was a little more subdued (haha, he did stand up but I wouldn't call his moves 'dancing' exactly) but I could tell he was enjoying the concert too.  Probably taking in the legends that he had waited so long to finally see in person.  (Just my interpretation, he didn't actually say those words)  The band played for almost two full hours.  There were only a few newer songs that I didn't know but I still found myself wishing for some old favorites.  I suppose if Aerosmith played all the songs I love to sing along with, they'd be up there for a few hours, at least.  Guess they are at an age where they need to conserve their energy, haha. 
If this was the last time I will ever see Aerosmith live, then it was a good way to go out.  I sure hope they have one more tour in them.  The only thing that was truly missing from the concert was having our Dad there with us.  He had a trip out of town, otherwise I know he would've been there rocking along too (with slightly less embarrassing dance moves than Hawaiian shirt guy....and at least he would never be caught dead in a Hawaiian shirt!).   He introduced us to Aerosmith, so it is only fitting that he be there with us the last time we see them perform live.  That is why I will keep up the hope that there will be at least one more awesome tour left in the amazing band that is Aerosmith.  :-)
I will leave you with some pics I took at the concert...all from my iphone, so they aren't the best quality...plus it's hard to take pictures when you are trying to sing at top volume! 
The three of us siblings, waiting on the best band ever to take the stage!
 Steven Tyler and Joe Perry! 
 Joe Perry...this guy can PLAY the guitar!
 The whole band...loved the Aerosmith logo on the stage. 
 Steven Tyler leaning over and singing right to some lucky person in the front row.  How awesome would that be to be right in the front?!?
 And again, signing in the faces of the crowd on the side of the stage closest to us.  I mean, not close enough, but as close as he could get to us, haha. 
This picture didn't turn out so great because of the lighting....but it was for the encore...Dream On, and Steven came up playing this grand piano and Joe is right there in the front just killing it on the guitar.  Mmm, chills!  It was so awesome.  Great end to a great concert!  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment