Monday, August 20, 2012

Super Why Live!

Obviously I have been awol on the blog....let's just chalk that up to long doc appointments for Sophia, family in from out of town the few days before we moved my little brother to college, packing up our own place to move into our new house the day after we moved Dillon....it's been a pretty busy time.  I am going to attempt to catch everything up as best as I can. 

The day after Aerosmith (which was a late night for me) we had to bring Sophia to a pediatric neurologist (post to come on those details...basically her and I can't seem to stay away from the neuro docs!!) appointment.  It was in the afternoon (our pediatrician had called and moved our mid-August appt up to as soon as possible) and then after we got done there, we had to hurry home for a nap....that evening we had tickets to see Super Why Live at the Cobb Energy Center!

If you don't have a young kid, you might not have ever heard of Super Why.  It's a show on PBS about some 'kids' that turn into super heroes and jump into books...well, you just have to watch it.  Lots of good spelling and alphabet and reading stuff.  Sophia recognizes quite a few letters and can sing her ABCs and I give some credit to this show for that.  She LOVES it.  A couple months ago, my sister saw Super Why Live was going to be in Birmingham.  I was all set to head over there and go see it with her and Cooper and me and Soph....but Coop didn't have any interest in going.  So I googled it and found that it was going to hit the Atlanta area too. 
We had to eat at the Cobb Energy Center and I will say the choices for food were not that great.  There weren't even a lot of choices to begin with but we settled on chicken fingers for Soph (and got the last dish of it...there were a lot of people behind us too, so weird that they ran out) and Michael got a hot dog.  I got a small bag of caramel popcorn...and it was pretty gross.  Oh well.  We weren't allowed to bring the food into the theater (understandable) but there was really nowhere to sit down...so we pulled up a patch of floor and ate as quickly as we could before going to find our seats.  Not the best dining experience, that is for sure. 
Since her first experience with the movie theater didn't go so well, I was interested to see how she would like more of a live theater experience.  I thought it might help that it was a show where she knew all the characters and lots of the songs and phrases they say every show already.  We had to buy a ticket for her (ages 1 and up needed tickets...stupid, if you ask me.  What 1 year old, Sophia included, would be able to see the show sitting in a seat of their own?  In Birmingham it was ages 2 and up needed a ticket...better, but I still think a 2 year old would have to sit on a lap to be able to see.  Whatever, guess they have to make their money some way.) but she only sat in her seat before the show started and was up in my lap when the lights went down.  She seemed pretty scared...she didn't cry but she was holding on to me pretty tight...and her heart was racing so fast I was worried she would have a little baby heart attack!  After a little while though she started to relax and was dancing in my lap and singing and stuff....every single time Super Why left the stage, she would ask me where he was!  I heard the little girl next to me (also on her mother's lap, even though she was probably a couple years older than Soph) ask her mom the very same thing, haha.  One funny part....they pretty much say a few key phrases every single show (and they kept the live show pretty close to the TV show, which I liked)...well at one point, we were all shouting out the answer or completing the phrase or something (Soph included) and Michael totally shouted out the wrong thing.  I was laughing hysterically at him....he said he isn't familiar with every single phrase because he works and doesn't watch the show every single day.  It was still really funny.  Another funny-ish thing...the couple behind us (maybe had two kids with them) was drinking beer or wine or something the whole show.  Actually that one was pretty weird.....A) that they even served alcohol at a show geared to kids and B) that this couple was drinking it up at a show geared towards kids.  I guess I have gotten old.  Or more mature.  Whatever. 


Pig is Sophia's favorite character on the show.  At one point, he was out in the middle of the audience, only a couple rows ahead of us. She freaked out, she was SO excited.  She waved like a maniac to him and he was waving too (generally, to the crowd, not really just to her)....and she STILL talks about how Pig waved to her ("Like this"....complete with crazy arm waving...HA!).
It wasn't a very long show....maybe an hour total of showtime with a 15 minute intermission in between.  Pretty perfect for a little kid.  We took a few pictures in front of the energy center (oh yeah, her Daddy bought her a glowing wand...that might be one of the other ways they make their money, haha) and she was asleep in the car practically before we got out of the parking garage.  :-) 


Sophia LOVED the show.  She still talks about it all the time, and how she wants to see Super Why again when they come back.  Um, I sure hope they come back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment