Thursday, August 30, 2012

Well THAT Was Unexpected!

Today has felt like a looong day. We had a follow-up appointment at Sophia's neurologist this morning and had to get up and leave the house super early this morning (I will do a separate post about this as there is a good bit to report on this topic).
Sophia and I had already planned a play date with my friend Jennifer and her niece Alexa and the doctors appointment was unexpectedly added to the day...so our play date got pushed back a bit. I was keeping in touch by text with Jennifer about when the appointment was ending, when I was heading back towards our house, etc. After a few texts (and between various calls to check on Soph) Jennifer actually gave me a call.
She asked if I would be interested in co-teaching a 2 year class with her at church!! The perk would be that Soph and Alexa (both of whom do not make the September 1st cutoff to be in an actual class of 2 year olds...they JUST miss it...poor Soph misses by only a week) could be in the class! Um, and the perk of getting paid...that too, haha.
Now, I can name half a dozen reasons why this is the most perfect job setup I can think of. First of all, we've been really looking into getting Sophia some type of schooling...she's so ready. But we've run into some issues...if it isn't the cost (depending on the school, it can be quite pricey, even for just a few days a week), it's the fact that her birthday falls after Sept 1. Not to mention the fact that most registrations for pre-schools start very early in the year...and I missed it by a lot! I had no idea when Soph was 16 months where/if we'd want her to start school...I didn't know we'd be moving then either so if I had registered her somewhere, that would all have had to change anyway.
Next, with the move (and still owning our previous home) and all we've been spending lately associated with it, I've been considering different part time job opportunities. This is tricky because I stay home with Sophia...can't just shut the playroom door and hope she fends ok on her own!! So I'd need to make sure Michael could be home from work in time for any evening gigs I might find...and it would be so hard for me to adjust to being away from my family! This way, I'm still taking care of Soph (she'll be in my class!) and can spend evenings and weekends with her and Michael doing family things. Instead of just switching off her care each day. Perfect! And I'm still adding some income to the family pot!
And finally, if you don't know my sister or read her blog (The Watkins Wire...you can find it on the 'blogs I follow' list...check it out, it's really good!), she is actually a pre-school teacher at a church. She teaches a 4 year old class where my nephew Cooper goes to pre-school...and really enjoys it. I've always wished to myself that I could find a great job opportunity like that, but never have been able to. And not having a school aged child (until now!) didn't prompt me to look too hard. But she has found the perfect set up by being near her son and still working at a rewarding job teaching kids. Now I am so excited to be doing the same thing!
Our little class has it's first day on Tuesday, September 11....not too far away!!! It's three days a week (Tues, Wed, and Thurs) and we will have about ten kids. Lots and lots of details to take care of before that day rolls around. I am just very excited and looking forward to being able to still be with my daughter every day, be with my good friend 3 days a week, earn a little money, and most importantly take part in a job that I think I will really enjoy.  Plus the added benefit of Sophia getting much needed socialization.  It's a win-win-win!! 
I know that with a class full of two year olds I'm probably not much more than a glorified babysitter...I know there will be things that we will do to bring some structure and learning to the day...but it will probably be a lot of playing and fun time.  I don't mind this at all, I have a feeling that my days are going to get a lot more interesting!! 
God definitely had a plan today....even though it was the most surprising and unexpected thing...and that means some big positive changes coming up for Sophia and me....and I couldn't be more excited about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment