Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Weekend in Maggie Valley

For Presidents Day weekend my brother had both Friday and Monday off so Michael decided to take a half day on Friday and we rented a cabin in Maggie Valley so we could head up to have a nice long weekend in the snow.  Well, it really didn't snow!  The boys had fun snowboarding most of the day on Saturday while Sophia and I just relaxed and played at the cute cabin.  It actually wasn't even super cold on Saturday so we got to enjoy the porch a little bit too before Sophia's nap time.  The cabin was on a steep hill so we didn't explore too much but Sophia liked being outside and looking for 'birdies'.  Once the snowboarders got home, we ate some dinner and watched a movie....there was snow in the forecast for the next day and we had plans to go snow tubing.  Well, when we woke up on Sunday it was definitely much colder....but raining, not snowing.  We got all geared up and went to snow tube anyway.  The rain let up and Dillon and I had a fun time snow tubing....I guess because of the rain people stayed away so we were able to make a lot of trips down the hills.  The session was for two hours but after a little over an hour we were exhausted!  We had a good time though and felt like we got our money's worth.  It was pretty muddy from the rain so we were wet and dirty and our feet were cold...two hours would've been a bit much.  And maybe white wasn't the best choice for color of my jacket.  Oh well, at least it can be cleaned.  Sophia and Michael watched us from the side (and sometimes the car when it rained a bit) and took some pictures of Dillon and I while we were tubing.  Then we went back to the cabin.  Sophia took a nap while we watched a movie and snacked and mostly we just chilled the rest of the day.  It was supposed to snow but never got cold enough.  And I got a migraine that ended up making me sick so Dillon and Michael played with Sophia for the rest of the night till bedtime.  We got up Monday and packed stuff up and ate breakfast and then headed home.  It was a short trip but I am glad we got to go and spend some time with my brother and that he got to spend some time with Sophia....she pretty much worships her uncle.  :-)  In fact, the first night we were there, she didn't want to go to sleep and was crying in her pack and play.  After she figured out that crying for mommy and daddy wasn't going to get her anywhere she started crying for Uncle Dill, haha.  (That didn't get her anywhere either though, so she gave up and went to sleep)  I only really had a couple complaints about the trip.  The main one was that it didn't snow!!!  How could the Weather Channel be SO wrong??  I was sick of seeing those little snow flakes on my weather channel app but not seeing anything but rain out the window.  Disappointing, but didn't ruin the trip.  The other thing was the lack of hot water for showers.  I can definitely take a quick shower when I need to but on Saturday it was just me and Soph at the house while the boys were gone so I figured once she went in a nap I'd have a nice hot shower and then relax for the afternoon.  Um, no, it didn't quite go that way.  I'm super thankful I didn't have to shave my legs and I don't know what possessed me to think I could condition my hair that day!!  I literally was in the shower for 7 minutes (I had looked at my cell phone right before I got in to see about what time Soph fell asleep) and the hot water didn't last that long.  I had to rinse out my conditioner with cold water...and I'm pretty sure it didn't all come out, since my hair has gotten pretty long and has always been fairly thick.  It's not even like there had been any showers before me at all that day!  And I was sort of going fast anyway, just because Michael had read that they had a small tank or something so I knew I couldn't really take a long shower...but is 10 minutes too much to ask??  I guess so.  The next days I eliminated the conditioner and was a little more successful with not running out but there is really only so fast one can take a shower and actually get all the soap off your body/out of your hair.  Whatever.  Again, it wasn't really something that ruined the trip.  It did make me glad that we didn't have a ton of people staying with us though and that we all staggered our showers throughout the stay!  Overall the weekend was short but a lot of fun.  I am super annoyed that a migraine interrupted the fun and that the medicine I have didn't do its job and I got sick but that is another post altogether.  I really enjoy getting to spend time with my husband and daughter and my brother...he'll be going to college soon and who knows how many more of these little trips he'll want to take with us?! 







1 comment:

  1. That picture of Dill and Soph is so cute! She's getting so big =)

    ReplyDelete