Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Yum is an Understatement!

Ok, so it hasn't been very long since I posted this blog about a banana bread recipe that I like.  Well, I have probably made the recipe about 4 or 5 times since then.  Probably a little excessive for banana bread, I know.  But I freakin love it!  I might be addicted to it and need an intervention.  And a major increase in fiber in my diet to counteract the banana overload.  Anyway. 
I thought I would do just a short blog to add my comments on things I have noticed about this recipe or things I have tried (or plan to try) that work well with or do not work so well with this recipe. 
First of all, four bananas is definitely better than three.  I have tried three, but in that batch I added some chocolate chips.  I was not as much of a fan with the added chocolate chips, but Michael said that he did like the chocolate with the bananas.  I thought it would taste better, and you might like it as much as my husband did, but I like my bananas alone.  Also, I only had normal sized chocolate chips on hand...mini chocolate chips might be better?  I used 3/4 a cup, just so you know. 
While I do just like the banana on its own, I would like to try some cinnamon mixed into a batch of batter as well.  Maybe just a teaspoon?  Will have to experiment with that. 
Also a couple of cooking notes.  I always just use 3/4 cup of sugar...no need to use a full cup, the bananas themselves have sugar in them so it's sweet enough (even though the recipe says you can use a full cup).  The first time I used Pam to coat the pan....it was okay but the second time I heavily margarined a paper towel and buttered the pan up and the loaf came off so clean and the edges didn't burn or brown too darkly at all, they were just perfect so that is what I do now with each batch.  And I wasn't sure about the hour baking time so I kept checking (at like 50 minutes and then 55 minutes, etc) the first time around and sure enough, it took a complete hour.  Now I just set the timer for an hour and then take it out only after the timer goes off.  And it comes out perfect. 
Why am I so obsessed with this recipe?  I couldn't tell ya.  I can say that it does give me something better to eat in the morning than a poptart (yeah, I know that is a crappy breakfast but Sophia would rather I play with her after she is done eating instead of me eating and a poptart is something quick I can shove in my mouth) and I may or may not consider a banana a meal (yes, I have had a banana for lunch and that is better than having nothing for lunch, right?).  Also, it is literally the easiest thing in the world to make.  It has very few ingredients, doesn't take up every bowl/utensil in your kitchen, takes like 5 minutes to prepare, and then you stick it in the oven and forget about it for an hour, then it is done.  Oh, and, if you happen to like bananas, tastes awesome. 
The one thing I need to figure out is how to get the bananas to over ripen quicker.  Our Publix sells the greenest looking bananas you've ever seen.  You can't even eat them for days after you buy them.  So I make Michael buy like 8-10 bananas, of which we will only eat half of so I can have the other half to make the bread with....but we still have to wait a couple weeks till the bananas are ready to use in the bread.  There might or might not have been a time when I have told Sophia that she can't have a banana simply because I have to save it to over ripen so I can use it in the bread.  She's mistreated, I know! :-)  She loves the bread though too so all three of us get to enjoy it when I make a loaf.  I'd love to figure out how to just buy overripe bananas so I could make a loaf whenever I wanted to...then I could give loaves for gifts or give them with gifts or bring them with me when I went to visit with friends (ok, this isn't something I get to do often, but something I'd love to do more...and I'd bring banana bread!!) or to bake sales or whatever.  Oh well.  I guess I'll just try to deal with my banana bread obsession the best way I can for now....just making as many loaves as I can! :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment