Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bad Day Turned Great

Today didn't start out so great. To explain exactly why, I have to first tell a little bit about yesterday. When I woke up yesterday morning I noticed that my left eye was a bit red and bloodshot...not much white showing. I tried to not panic, figured maybe there had been something in it as I slept that irritated it....anything but the dreaded pink eye that I had so often as a kid. I took a Claritin in hopes that maybe it was an allergy thing?? By the end of the day, it was not at all better. I took 2 Benadryl when I went to bed, sure that it would be clear by this morning....especially since I had to go to work. And especially since pink eye is gross and contagious and the last thing I wanted to have was something gross and contagious that I could possibly pass on to my baby (not to mention my husband or co-workers and customers).
I woke up early to get ready for work this morning and saw that my eye actually looked worse than yesterday. I knew that I really shouldn't put in my contacts and debated for a full half an hour if I should head to urgent care instead of work. I was actually looking forward to making some sales at work since it is the last Saturday before Christmas and I figured since I go in so infrequently now, if I am going to make any sales at all then today would be the day. But I did realize that my Frankenstein eye was not going to go unnoticed and besides infecting the customers it would probably scare them away. I emailed my boss my regrets and off to the Immediate Care I went.
I hate the Immediate Care. I was there almost a full ten minutes before the place opened and stood in the cold drizzly rain with what looked like 2 other people until the doors opened. Oh. The lady at the front of the line was actually standing in line for both of her non-English speaking Asian parents. Ugh. Whatever. So I am technically patient number 4. I sign in, fill out forms, etc and then wait. Patient number 2 gets called back first, but not for quite a while. I figure I might have a shot to be called back next, I really only have a quick thing that needs to be looked at and it seems the Asian couple is sick and also wants some vaccinations. I am not called back next, the Asian couple and their translator daughter win out over me. It is then that I hear the front desk girl and a nurse mention there is only one doctor there. UGH. After a full hour I am finally called back. There is one other guy who is in the waiting room with me and after about 10 minutes waiting to see a doctor in my little examination room, I hear them call him back. And then more waiting. After quite a long time, probably about 45 minutes, I actually hear the doctor talking to THE GUY THAT WAS CALLED BACK AFTER ME!!!! In fact, I can hear pretty much everything going on, all my waiting room "friends" are still there. At this point, I get really annoyed. Finally the doctor comes to see me. Good thing I wasn't an emergency. He assesses my eye, prescribes me some drops and another medicine and I am out of there at an even 2 hours. After another extremely annoying hour at Walgreens, I finally have my prescriptions and can head home to my daughter....who I have to try and stay away from as much as possible, just in case I haven't already passed her my germs. It is probably close to 1 o'clock at this point and the day is crap.
But later on something totally awesome happened that turned the whole day around. First, it was a small thing....Michael had Sophia on the changing table and he thought she laughed a little when he was doing something silly to make her smile. I wasn't in the room to hear it for sure...but yesterday when I was playing with her, just the two of us, I thought I heard something similar. I wasn't 100% sure it was a laugh though, it could have been some gurgling or something like that and I didn't have anyone else around to hear it.
A few more hours pass and this time I am changing her since Michael is in the kitchen doing something. I think I tickled her a little near her neck, something like that, and there it was again...but this time it was louder and longer and a lot clearer. A laugh!!! And Michael heard it from the kitchen too. It is such a cute little sound, totally out of nowhere and it made me so excited. I completely forgot about my crappy morning and literally spent about an hour trying to get her to do it again. I think I got one more the whole day but it was SO worth it. I can't wait until she laughs and laughs at all the stupid things we do just to hear that sweet sound over and over. I thought that the first time I ever heard her cry when she was first born was the best sound I had ever heard...and it was definitely awesome...but now I know that my little baby girl laughing is the best sound ever. And I can't wait to hear it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment