Sunday, September 30, 2012

Grey's Anatomy, What a Downer

I was a little late to the Grey's Anatomy boat.  I probably started tuning in during the middle of the second season I think.  But I really liked it, so I ordered the first on DVD and got all caught up.  I even got Michael hooked on it (or he just watches with me because he loves me.  Either way).  I used to even watch the repeated seasons during the middle of the day, but don't really anymore because I'm watching repeats of Beverly Hills 90210 too busy these days. 
That being said, last season they almost lost me there at the end.  (By the way, I will probably be spoiling it if you watch and are not caught up.  If so, read no further.)  The docs at hospital have never been very good at keeping themselves out of the worst possible situations imaginable (near drowning, getting shot, bombs, cancer, terrible car crashes...I could go on and on).  It's hard to see how they can even concentrate on being doctors and saving actual patients' lives, they are always trying to save each other.  I would never go to Seattle Grace/Mercy West Hospital, if I could help it. (I guess it helps that it is a fictional hospital)
But the cliff hanger at the end of last season was literally the worst....a plane crash with more than half the doctors on board.  Not to mention that a plane crash is in my top three worst fears....most of them survive the actual crash and then are stranded in the woods with a multitude of life-threatening injuries to deal with.  Sort of unrealistic that they even survived in the first place, but I was super disappointed with the fact that one of the characters that I actually liked, Lexi, is killed right off.  Apparently a ton of Grey's viewers were mad at that little plot twist that no one saw coming. 
Anyway, at the end of the episode, the remaining living doctors are left out in the woods and you have no idea what is to become of them.  And the other night, the new season started back up.  And you find out that yet another character on the show, a likable one at that, is going to be killed off.  And oh, those writers are soooo good at putting the right sad music with a flashback of said dying character on and before you know it, you are crying like you know the person, for crying out loud.  I am just so tired of this show being so freaking depressing!  Why can't they write a season of the show that good things happen to the characters??  Even worse, the previews for next week show that they are going to go through the whole what-happened-while-they-were-stranded-in-the-woods drama.  I can't take it.  'Cause I know the whole season is going to be more of the same and no one on the show is going to be happy and nothing positive is going to happen to any of the remaining characters. 
What was the point of this post?  Ah, yes.  I guess I am just annoyed that a show that I used to really like, a light drama revolving around doctors in a hospital setting, has turned into a please-drag-me-from-the-ledge-I-just-watched-Grey's-Anatomy show.  And sure, Housewives of Anywhere doesn't have a single redeeming quality....but I do not cry during it, nor do I feel like I might down a bottle of aspirin with a bottle of vodka after watching (ok, I wouldn't do that ever, definitely not after watching TV...I think you get what I am trying to say though). 
Surely there is a comedy that I can watch in place of the most depressing show ever to air on TV??  Because if things continue to go the way they are going on Grey's, I might just turn off the TV altogether. 

1 comment:

  1. I told you to stop watching that crap years ago. Start watching Parenthood on Tuesday nights. It's awesome. There is always something uplifting in every episode, even if it centers around something sad. That's all we watch now along with our usual Wednesday and Thursday night comedies. And the X-Factor. =)

    ReplyDelete