Monday, September 17, 2012

The BIG Move!

Yes, we have been in our new house for a month and 6 days now.  And yes, I am just getting around to posting about the move.  Ah, well.  Better late than never I suppose. 
The entire week before we moved, we were super busy.  We had out of town relatives in town so we were spending a lot of time with them.  Michael and I were using up every spare second to pack our whole condo into boxes.  And then, the day before our move, we moved my brother, Dillon, to college.  Michael stayed behind so he could pick up the moving truck and fill it with the things we had in our storage unit.  I was thinking I would be back in time to take care of the last minute details at the condo....but it was pretty much midnight before we got back from the college move.  I ended up staying at my parents' house and getting up reaaalllly early on the morning of Saturday, Aug 11.  At that point, I was throwing things into boxes and trying to get them as labeled as possible so on the other end things wouldn't be so hectic.  At least I tried.  Best laid plans, right?
I was SO thankful for all of our friends and family members that helped us out with this move.  Turns out, even though we were only living in a small condo, we have a ton of stuff.  And some of the furniture pieces that my Mom said we could use were VERY heavy.  Glad our moving crew didn't hurt themselves! 
We were supposed to have the moving truck returned by 4pm....but it was probably a little bit after that.  As far as we know, we weren't charged extra for it.  And once everything was out of the truck and into the house....well, then came the task of dividing up the boxes to the rooms they belonged in (even though I labeled them with the rooms they needed to go in, it ended up easier on the moving crew to use our dining room and formal living room as the box dumping ground, haha).  And getting Sophia's room as close to ready as it could be.  I didn't want a lot of boxes or a bed that wasn't put together or a lot of chaos in her room so that hopefully her transition into the new house would be a bit more smooth.  She loves her pink room, so she was happy to finally be in it.  Although the first few days she did keep saying she wanted to 'go home'.  Even now, she will say things like 'is this our new house?' and 'can we go to our new house?' 
A new change for us in this new house....STAIRS!!  And lots of them.  We have two separate stairways up to the second floor, plus a set of stairs that lead into the basement.  When you go from hardly ever having to climb stairs (none in our bottom floor condo) to constantly going up and down and up and down....well, your legs sure get a workout!!  I was so sore the first few days....climbing the stairs and moving heavy boxes all around....definitely just as good as hitting the gym. 
Another change....all the light that comes into the house.  This is definitely a positive thing....our condo was quite dark, even with the blinds open and all the lights on.  The only slightly negative thing is when it is soooo early in the morning and the sun is streaming in right in your face.  So we immediately hung the blinds in Sophia's room and ours.  And up to this point, we haven't gotten many more hung up.  It'll happen. 
Something that we have finally seemed to get a handle on....spiders and mosquitoes seems to enjoy taking up residence in our new home.  Not just one here and there.  The first couple of weeks, I was killing several spiders each day and Soph and I were getting bit up by the mosquitoes.  I really hate bugs.  And if they are fast moving, I feel like they are going to attack me or something when I try to go after them to kill them.  I know, I am much bigger and they are probably more afraid of me than I am of them or something like that.  But they are just so gross!!  Anyway, Michael bought some heavy duty bug spray and sprayed the entire house and all around it outside.  We might still find one here and there now...but it's not a full time job to exterminate the pests in the home anymore. 
I am really really enjoying the house.  I love having a garage to park in, a big playroom for Sophia, a big kitchen and living area to host parties in (post to come...we had a little party for Sophia's birthday here).  I love that we are in a neighborhood...we have started to meet the neighbors and so far everyone is super nice.  As soon as the weather cools down, there is going to be a cul-de-sac cookout....it will be a great way to meet some more of our neighbors and hopefully make some friends! 
We aren't quite totally unpacked.  As soon as I ended up with the teaching job, I have found that a lot of my extra time has gone into planning for that, as opposed to constantly working on the house.  But every room is functional and we are getting there, slowly but surely. 
I hope to have some pictures to share soon....but obviously things have been pretty hectic around here...they'll come, don't worry! 
I feel like I am really loving this house....it is our family home.  And I hope that we will be here for many, many years to come!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment