Tuesday, February 26, 2013

15 weeks, 4 days

Yesterday I had my 16 week check up at the OBGYN. I will actually be 16 weeks on Thursday, but since I'm always teaching Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I won't be actually going to the doctor on the day I turn the next week (like I did last pregnancy) until after school is out in May. No big deal, close enough!
I had to bring Sophia to the appointment with me...and it was pretty close to nap time so I was worried how things would go. I did know that this particular appointment wouldn't be super long (like the last one....geez, I was there for almost 3 hours) and even though we had a rough time getting out of the house, we still made it about 15 minutes before the appointment time. And Sophia was perfectly behaved the whole time. Everyone in the office thought she was SO cute (which she loves...me too, haha) and I was happy she was there with me. Sure, it was awkward when she had to come in with me so I could leave a urine sample ("you're supposed to pee in the POTTY mommy, not a cup!!" or "eeeewww, that's nasty mommy!") and I had to explain the blood pressure machine thing several times ("no, it's not squeezing my arm off, it's checking my blood pressure") but once we got into the room to see the doctor she was so cute and quiet and even helpful. The doctor was good with her, let her squeeze the jelly onto the wand thing that detects the heartbeat and let her start the machine. It took a minute or so to find the baby's heartbeat (made me nervous!) but she found it (151 bpm) and I think Sophia realized, when we explained it, that it was the baby. She smiled like she did anyway, haha.
I chatted with the doctor about my weight (I've gained 1 lb so far...at this point when I was pregnant with Soph I had already gained 6) and some headaches that I've been having. I was happy to tell her that it had been almost 2 weeks since I had thrown up (yay, world record!!). And then I just had to get some blood drawn.
Sophia was SO adorable and sweet. I am NOT at all scared of needles but I didn't want her to feel nervous or scared watching the nurse draw blood out of my arm (she thought it was like a shot) so I made it kind of a silly deal of it, asked her if I should cry, stuff like that. She held my hand and when the nurse stuck me she said "it's ok"! The nurse (and the other one in the room) both said Awww, she's so sweet! And she really was so sweet. I loved having her with me, even though the needle didn't even make me blink.
That was pretty much my appointment. My next appointment in 4 weeks will be another ultrasound, when we find out if this baby is a boy or girl. Sophia and Michael will be with me for that. I'm looking forward to it...just because I really want to know so we can start planning a nursery, think about names and get Sophia even more excited and ready for her new sibling.
This pregnancy seems to be going kinda slowly...maybe because I've been sick for most of it so far...but I know time will start to speed up and it will be summer before I know it. I am happy that I am starting to feel better and am hoping I can really start enjoying this pregnancy...I know once I start to feel kicks and know the gender it will really get exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment