Thursday, February 21, 2013

November/Thanksgiving 2012

Not too much exciting in November except for Thanksgiving.  Every other year we go to Orlando for Disney World (so this year we will be there!) and this was an off year.  It was also the first year in our new house so my Dad offered us to host, haha.  Fine with us....but since we weren't quite done unpacking and furnishing the house, we shoved boxes into closets and the basement and borrowed folding chairs so we would have enough seating at the dinner table (which consisted of our dining room table and new back porch patio table put together and covered with tablecloths, haha). 
The week before Thanksgiving we had a feast at school.  Michael had a board meeting he had to attend so it was just Sophia and me going to the feast.  I was a little sad about this, but there wasn't anything we could do, as he was presenting at the board meeting.  It was stressful on the teacher side of things to get all my class place mats made and ready and all the pictures from my class organized for the slide show.  But on the parent side, all I had to do was show up!  The food was really good too.  I didn't take too many pictures and really wish I had asked someone to take a picture of me and Sophia while we were there but for some reason I forgot.  Here is all I have from that event....


Then the next week was actually Thanksgiving.  Sophia enjoyed our week off of school and spent the time cleaning up the house and getting it ready for our company.  Michael actually likes to cook, so he wanted to tackle the turkey and also make his mom's famous cornbread stuffing.  We made some other sides and my Mom and Aunt brought some things too.  I made some desserts too, since I prefer to bake.  We had plenty of food.  And I actually love being able to host a family gathering.  We don't have quite as much room as my parents do to spread out...but there was enough room for everyone that came and we all had a good time. 
 Michael's turkey going in the oven. 
 Our dining room set up....looks pretty bare in there...guess we need to paint it a color or something.  And fill it with something other than a table!
 The kitchen action.  And a shot of our kitchen, not sure if I've ever posted a picture of it.  Plenty of counter space to prepare a big meal like Thanksgiving dinner. 
 The living room crowd...probably watching football, I can't imagine anything else being on tv, haha. 
 Sophia woke up from her nap and was SO happy to see this guy.
 She LOVES her Uncle Dillon. 




 My cousin Jeremy cutting up the turkey. 
 She was all ready for dinner!



 Getting all the food onto the table...
 Looks delicious, I am hungry just thinking about all the good food we had that day. 
 Sophia was ready to eat! 
 We let her say the blessing like she learned at school.  :-)
 And then everyone was digging into the food!
I love seeing everyone all gathered around OUR table, eating Thanksgiving dinner together.  We missed my sister, Jay and Cooper (they were at his family this year) but they ended up arriving at our house later that night for dessert and games.  And I would say our first hosting of Thanksgiving was a success.  For 2013 we won't have to worry about a big Thanksgiving dinner since we will be in Orlando, but maybe next year we can host again?  I wouldn't be opposed to it for sure.  I love being around family no matter whose house we gather at...just glad we are able to be one of the houses that everyone can gather at finally.  It made for a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment