Saturday, April 10, 2010

Saturdays Are For Shopping

So I have to put in a few hours at work (every Saturday) but once I get home we are heading out to do some shopping for some much needed maternity clothes for me and some summer clothes for Michael. This brings me to a small rant about maternity clothes.....why is it so hard to find places that sell them???
Actually let me back up. Originally our plan was to head up to one of my favorite places, the N.GA outlets, to do a little shopping....I knew they had one specialty maternity store but I also remembered that the Gap there had a maternity section....so I call yesterday just to verify and the lady says, no, only the retail stores and online sell maternity. Ugh. We decided the 45 minute drive wasn't really worth just one store.
Then I thought about how I knew that some Macy's carry maternity, but few and far between. So I called FIVE different Macy's locations within a half an hour or so driving distance of our house....2 have maternity.
And here is our plan: Mall of GA for the Macy's that does carry maternity, also a Gap and Old Navy that carries maternity...then we will swing by Discover Mills on our way back to hit the actual specialty maternity store and supposedly the Burlington outlet has some as well. Two different malls for 5 stores with small sections of maternity clothes! Ridiculous! But what can I do, I need to find things that fit, both for work and our upcoming beach vacation.
You can surely find a lot of maternity options online....and don't get me wrong, I LOVE to shop online....but I have found that I feel more comfortable actually trying on the clothes first before I part with the money for them. Maybe I will have to cave in and buy some tops, maybe some dresses online....but pants, there is just no way around trying them on. Target sells maternity clothes...sort of. I have probably been to 5 or 6 different Targets (including one in FL) and it is a very small section...let's just say I think I have almost everything they offer by now.
Yesterday I sort of got fed up as I tried to map out a plan to hit every possible store that carries maternity clothing.....why aren't there more options for us pregos?? I LOVE to shop, love clothes, shoes, purses, sunglasses...I am perfectly willing to purchase 2-3 outfits a day for the duration of my pregnancy (ok, so at some point Michael would step in and take all my funding away, haha) but the variety and amount of places to do said shopping just doesn't seem to be available!
I feel like I should write a strongly worded letter to someone....but who? All the major department stores, demanding they carry a wide selection of maternity clothes? Major designers, demanding they produce more maternity selections? Doubt I would have much luck or even get a response.
In the end I feel like the only lesson I have learned is this.......buy as much as I can find no matter how much of a pain it is to find it....and then don't ever get rid of anything so the next time I get pregnant at least I won't have to go through all this aggravation!!!

1 comment:

  1. It is frustrating!!! But, just remember that in a few months (about August) you will be so tired of seeing maternity clothes that you will be thankful that only a handful of stores carry them. For now invest in a few cute and comfortable outfits and know that you will probably have to go up a size come July or August. Gap Maternity jeans were my savior! I loved them and wore them almost everyday. The Motherhood Maternity stuff doesn't last as long (they shrink). Mimi stuff seemed to keep pretty good, but the GAP stuff really lasted and I even wore a few things for two pregnancies. Hope you had some luck!!!

    ReplyDelete