Thursday, April 1, 2010

Scattered Thoughts Thursday

So last week my thoughts were kinda random, but today (and for the past couple of days) they have been rather scattered. I can probably blame the pregnancy...and ironically most of my thoughts have been scattered around baby topics (some might even call them somewhat panicked thoughts).
Yesterday I was perusing the Babies R Us website simultaneously with the Target website for various baby products. At 18 weeks I don't really feel like we need to rush out and register but I thought I might try to get a jump on checking out some products that I might like to register for. We already have the nursery furniture set (not in the actual nursery, we just know what will go there and don't have to purchase much for it) and my Mom already bought us our stroller and we are pretty sure what car seat we will go with (have to just go check it out in person first). I decided to look at high chairs and monitors and play mat type things and diaper bags and bottles and.....
At first, I did good with finding a high chair I liked, emailed a picture of it to Michael to get his opinion, and found a couple good possibilities for play mats (jeez, they are kinda expensive but found one that we'll have to see in person for sure but could work and is relatively affordable). Then I was looking at monitors and while I LOVE the idea of a video monitor, I wonder if the cost is worth it. Our condo is pretty small so unless we become deaf after the baby arrives I am pretty confident we will hear when it cries in its own room. But the ability to see the baby on a monitor could actually be something we could use....in the very least we could just use it to see that yes, the baby is still breathing and thus avoid going in to check that and risk waking it up. They are just sooo expensive. So I moved on to diaper bags. SO many choices and a lot were more pricey than I thought they would be...and I didn't find any that I was super crazy about. Moving right along....bottles. That is sort of where the panic started to set in. I am going to bottle feed and I spent a little time looking at the different options (drop-ins, regular, strange tilted looking ones) and I think I am pretty sure we'll go with the drop-in bottles.....but what put me into a small panic is how much we will feed the baby each day and how in the world to I know how many freakin bottles to buy??!! I know they can be washed and reused and will need to be often...but do you buy enough to get through a day and then just wash them every single night? Enough for a few days, but still washing all the time? And with the previously mentioned small condo, we don't have a lot of space for extra storage. So confusing and as a pre-planner for almost everything (presumably to make things easier on myself) I find myself hoping that I don't buy too few (and not just bottles....diapers, wipes, formula, etc) and then am not a good, well-prepared mother.
So for now, I am stepping away from Babies R Us and the baby section at Target and registering will be put off for a bit longer while I calm down and relax and read up on what I truly will need....and this will include lots of questions to my already mommy friends...so no judging and laughing at my stupid questions!
Even with all my scattered and panicked thoughts, I am very excited and ready for this baby to get here. I think I will be able to handle the challenge and maybe even come up with some good advice for my future mommy-to-be friends!!

3 comments:

  1. This post cracked me up! I thought the same thing when I registered with Logan. This is my advice, but take it or leave it, you will find what works for you when the time comes! I would get 9 bottles (most come in 3 to a pack). That way you have 7-8 for the day, and 1 or 2 for the next morning. You will run your dish washer daily regardless. I have the diaper DEKOR diaper pail and love it! I bought it with Logan and will still be using it with baby #3.
    Monitors, highchairs, etc are personal preference....just make sure you are able to wash the high chair cover - you will need to :)
    But don't panic, have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shannon about the bottles...make sure you have enough for a full day. You can wash them at night and then prepare them and stick them in the fridge for that night and the next day. They eat about every two hours at first, so just do the math. Thankfully, the older they get, the less amount of times a day you feed them and nighttime should eventually be completely bottle-free. The best advice I can give for bottles is this: Always have night bottles already prepared and in the fridge so that there is less work to do when you're tired and groggy. And, if you can, try to get the baby to start out with cooler formula so that way you don't have to heat it up each time. There is no medical reason for the milk to be room temp or warm. When I figured out that Coop would drink his bottles cold just as well as he would if they were room temp...well, that was just the best day! It is so much easier on you that way. And try to remember that everything will come together by the time the baby gets here. He/she (probably she!) will be taken care of and loved come September no matter what :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember to breathe and it will all work out okay! I promise!!!

    ReplyDelete